Monday, November 29, 2010

You Can Do It!

We all face little challenges, each day. Sometimes getting up in the morning is a challenge, for one reason or another. Sometimes not snipping at a co-worker is a challenge and sometimes it is making yourself head to the gym instead of to Starbucks. Whatever the challenges of every day life are, they are usually just put there in front of us, nothing we asked for. It is not like most people get up in the morning and think, "Gee, i really wish I big challenge would be tossed at me today." Personally, I don't mind the occasional challenge, something that makes me think, use my creative juices, step into territory that is for me, perhaps uncharted. Other days, I wish only for the norm, for an easy day, with no surprises, busy work that doesn't require too much thinking, too much physical exertion, et cetera.

A few weekends ago, a group of 10 ladies, myself included, took on a challenge, we willingly signed up and took on the challenge, the challenge of being trained to facilitate a low ropes challenge course at camp. Yes, you read that right, me and a challenge course at camp. Honestly, at first I wasn't sure I wanted to volunteer, not sure of what I would be getting myself into, but then as I thought about it, I thought to myself, how often do I get to try something completely new, something outside my comfort zone and skill set. Well, this was an opportunity to do just that and so, I went for it.

A low ropes challenge course is used for team building. It is a series of elements set in the woods, each requiring not only physical strength to master, but mental strength, group strength and a sense of being a team, the ability to work together towards a common goal. Some of the ladies in the group I was with I already knew, other staff members, and others were summer camp staff, others were volunteers. It was an interesting mix, but as we went, we learned about about each other, about ourselves, about what each one of us had to offer the group in terms of our strengths, both physical and non-physical. Some people had experience with this type of course, some did not. I was just excited, and though while I was on the non-experienced end of the spectrum, I had a sneaking suspicion that my enthusiasm and willingness to try anything once would serve me well.

I was right. We started off with team building exercises, games, etc. We talked about safety and demonstrated our new-found understanding of safety measures, as well as how to teach them to girls. Then, we were introduced to the elements, one by one. Some were easier to take on physically, but required a lot of thought and planning in regards to how to complete the task at hand successfully as a group. As a group, the real point of all of the activities, working together and utilizing each others strengths, overcoming weaknesses, and finding options that work for everyone. I don't see how anyone could take on these elements as a group without a sense of trust in and respect for each other. I could see those things building, our respect for one another growing as we went, the level of trust increasing, as every individual proves what they are capable of, not only to the rest of the group, but most importantly to themselves. The sense of pride and accomplishment is shared, but also, you take a little piece of that for yourself, tucking it quietly into your pocket with a grin, for a rainy day.

I never expected to shimmy past others, climbing over a friend as I moved from one end of a large log to the other. Climbing a cargo net, around from front to back, swinging on a rope swing and not dragging my feet, worming my way under a net, blindfolded, my whole team looking on and guiding me with their words. Oh, and who can forget being pushed up and on top of a large spinning bobbin, then trying to get down the other side, not falling face first. Or perhaps it was helping a team member across the swings, then trying to swing and squeeze myself across as well, all without touching the ground. Yes, it was an interesting experience. Yes, I did it!

I learned a lot about teamwork, about how what you think effects the outcome as much, if not more so, than what you actually do. A challenge course is not something most people who know me would call " a very Nina thing to do," but it was something I wanted to try, and thanks to my own hard work and that of the ladies I was with, it was a positive and successful experience, a challenge willingly taken. My body was worn, cold, bruised, scraped, sore in places and I never knew I had. That aside, I am happy that I can enjoy sharing those feelings and experiences with groups of girls. Some will the scared, some will be nervous, some will think they can do it all, but what matters most is not what skills and mindsets they come in with, but what they leave with.
 You would think with the great experience I had that I would be happy to leave with those feelings and sense of success, coming back to just share it with others. Wrong my friends. I will be taking on the high ropes course, 40 feet in the air, harnesses and ropes, climbing wall, zip line, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Crazy? Probably. Out of my comfort zone? Definitely. A challenge? For sure. Excited? Of course!

Here's to taking on new challenges, big or small, and never forgetting that what matters most is that you took the challenge to begin with, no matter the outcome. (PS, remind me of that when I am scared and sore and and and in a few weeks....)

No comments:

Post a Comment