Friday, October 29, 2010

Raise Your Glass

Today I turn 28. Not an exceptionally exciting age. 28 does not bring something new, like the excitement of getting your license at 16, being able to vote at 18,or being able to legally drink at 21, or even something like the cost of car insurance going down at age 25. On the other hand, it does not have a particularly negative connotation, such as how some people feel about turning 30 or 40 or 50. It's just another age, a step that officially moves me from my mid-twenties to my late-twenties. Twenty-eight, does anyone make a huge deal out of age 28? I'm not quite sure to be honest.


Another birthday has come and like many people, I catch myself thinking about what I have accomplished, what I haven't accomplished. Let's see:


          1. I have a college degree (perhaps not one that in an area that is particularly useful right now, but I am educated and that is more than some people can say)

          2. I have a job, a job that I love. (Again, more than a lot of people can say)

          3. I have moved away and lived on my own. (Arizona was quite a distance away from little Springfield, IL, but I went and gave it my best shot. It might not have been the right city for me, but it is an experience I am glad that I had.)

          4. I have traveled. (Most people can't say that their first plane ride was an overseas flight to Europe and I am lucky that I can. I have been lucky enough to travel to several countries, seeing amazing sites and falling in love with the cultures, the people, the languages, the food, the beauty, the experience of travel in general. Now, I just wish to do more of this!)

          5. I have loved and been loved. (I am not talking about a great love with a significant other, but rather the fact that I am loved by family, loved by my dear friends, and love them just as much. I enjoy the connection with others, the warm, fuzzy, happy feeling I get when I tell a good friend how much I miss them or write them that I am thinking of them that day, the feeling I get when my parents or grandparents tell me that they are proud of me, the little kid hugs and kisses from my niece and nephew.)


To many people, these may not seem like big accomplishments, but to me they are just right, they are the things that matter. Perhaps what I have done does not shine like the things others have accomplished by age 28, but you can decide for yourself. By age 28:


          1. The Danish physicist Niels Bohr had published his revolutionary theory of the atom.

          2. County music star Brad Paisley became the youngest member of the Opry.

          3. Tchaikovsky was enjoying fame after composing "Romeo and Juliet."

          4. Speed skater Bonnie Blair had won 3 Olympic Gold Medals.

          5. Mary Shelley had written and published her famous novel, "Frankenstein."

          6. Audrey Hepburn had won the Oscar for "Roman Holiday."


          7. Amelia Earhart became the 16th woman ever to be issued a pilot's license.


These are some amazing feats and have to say that my ambitions, while perhaps not made of things that will be bring me international fame and fortune, are things that are important to me, things that are powered by the things I have already accomplished. I plan to celebrate in a rather low-key way, dinner and drinks with friends and a small family celebration. It is perfect for me, a celebration that will find me surrounded by many of those that hold dear (those of you who are not here in person are definitely with me in spirit). Nothing flashy about it, but you can bet that the soles I wear will be!


As Pink says in her new song, "...raise your glass." Here's to 28, a year that I intend to fill with lots of soul, and plenty of new soles!

1 comment:

  1. I am honored to be a part of YOUR 28 years, years of growing, learning and accomplishments. You have done yourself proud while taking us on a wonderful ride…… CD3

    ReplyDelete