Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Let the Breezes Blow

It is so windy today that I feel like I might be living in the Wizard of Oz, slightly expecting Dorothy’s house, a cow or various household items to fly past my window at any given moment. It is fascinating to see the leaves blowing around, shades of red, yellow, orange and brown swirling in patterns on the street and in the air, as if an overenthusiastic child is spinning the kaleidoscope too fast. What’s not so great about this excessive amount of wind, driving in it! I was white-knuckled all the way up I-55 and I fear I will experience the same anxiety as I travel back home this evening.

For some reason, wind makes me think of traveling, not necessarily because I drove through this freakish wind storm today, but more because wind is so tied in with travel, at least in my mind. A breeze picks up leaves and they travel, twisting and twirling, like graceful dancers, from the braches down to the ground, perhaps if you are lucky, into your neighbor’s yard. Butterflies and birds soar through the air and for some reason, the wind seems not to bother them, but rather like a guiding hand, gently reminding them which way to go. Any child can tell you how awesome it is when you take a dandelion and, after making that oh-so-important wish, blow the fluff off into the afternoon breeze. Of course, we all know that that is exactly how weeds spread, but honestly, I prefer to not think of the realistic or the practical, as focusing on the fun and magic of blowing that fluff with all your might, knowing that your wish will come true is so much more fun.

Fun, definitely one of the words I think of when I think of fun. I love daydreaming about the places I wish to go, reading books and finding myself slowly becoming part of the story, picturing the settings so vividly that it is like I am actually there. I have been lucky enough to travel to many fun and interesting places, and if I could, my suitcase would be packed right now, and I would take off for a far off place in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, being an adult in the real world, I am not in a position to up and fly off at a moment’s notice, but in my mind, I do it all the time. Sometimes it is a place that is familiar with familiar people, places to visit friends and enjoy them and the place they call home. Sometimes it is something more exotic, a place with beautiful stretches of beaches, sparkling waters, crashing waves and a warm gentle breeze, welcoming me with a chair right on the edge of the water and cold drinks and sunshine a plenty. There are also other places that I am simply drawn to, either because of their beauty or their history, or because of my history. Perhaps I just am drawn to go, to fly in the breeze, with my suitcase in tow.

Sometimes I think I could live out of a suitcase forever, adding to it the treasures I find along with way. Other times, the thought of not having my whole wardrobe and all of my shoes at my disposal daily frightens me into wanting to stay at home, returning every evening to the comfort of my own bed, and closet. I have to admit that there is something about suitcases that draws me to them, which endears them to me. Perhaps it is not so much the suitcases themselves, but rather what is in them, where they have been, who they belong to. They tell a story of the most interesting kind, having traveled roads, seas, skies, through the dirt and the winds. What secrets do they hold, whose hands have packed, unpacked, repacked, and carried them. Like the breezes, these suitcases float along through history, becoming part of so many stories, so many moments. Okay, so that might seem a little deep for a piece of luggage, but my fascination knows no bounds.

If your suitcase were to be looked at by a stranger, what would they see? What kinds of things would it reveal about you? What memories of you and where you have been would be blowing in the breeze forever? Something to think about for sure. As for me, I will continue to dream of making my way to many new and interesting places, visiting people I hold dear, and wandering again through the streets of places I have been lucky enough to visit at least once before. Where will I be next? Where will the breezes of my mind blow my daydreams? Who knows, but I can tell you for sure… I will be wearing the perfect shoes when I get there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment