Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hello, My Name is Negative Nelly

Occasionally I am accused of being cynical. Well, maybe accused is the wrong word, perhaps called out on the fact that I am at times a cynic is a much better and more accurate statement. I know I tend to look at the negative side of things, but mostly when it comes to certain situations or topics. Some of my friends find it pretty amusing and this weekend, one of them found a book that was apparently “perfect” for me. It is titled “I Hate Everything.” It is one of those cute little books that you give someone as a gift, the kind that sit on your coffee table that people pick up and flip through. I have to admit that I did laugh at some of what it said, each page being a statement that began “I hate...,” that statement then being filled in with something that the author finds awful or has no patience for. These simple negative statements are each accompanied by a rather unrefined drawing of the offensive thing. As I flipped through the book, I found myself agreeing with many of the statements.


Who knew I hated so many things? I am not sure I actually hate them per say, but am more so just annoyed by certain things. It is odd for me to think about considering I so often find myself saying how much I love this or that. My excitement at the things I truly enjoy sometimes knows no bounds, but apparently neither does my level of annoyance for others. So, just for fun, here is a short list of things I hate, find annoying, don’t understand, loathe, et cetera and so forth:

I hate running.
I hate the sound of a soprano sax.
I hate bad shoes.
I hate people who wear bad shoes.
I hate when people look like they got dressed in the dark.
I hate root beer.
I hate the smell of frying meat.
I hate rude neighbors.
I hate cramps.
I hate when my fave show is not on TV.
I hate people who look like they need to eat.
I hate when skinny people complain about needing to lose weight.
I hate watching the news.
I hate when there are a different set of expectations for different people.
I hate when people think the rules don’t apply to them.
I hate Facebook application requests.
I hate the sound of a poorly played oboe.
I hate being tired.
I hate doing dishes.
I hate sore, stiff knees.
I hate when people quote movies as a form of conversation.
I hate not having enough money.
I hate when people show off how much money they have.
I hate spiders.
I hate snakes.
I hate mosquitoes.
I hate bad hair days.
I hate when I run out of tea bags.
I hate when I am running late.
I hate when I can’t sleep.
I hate mushrooms.
I hate when people narrate what they are watching on TV.
I hate being bored.
I hate when people don’t get a clue.
I hate when I get too busy to read a good book.
I hate being hungry.
I hate being ignored.
I hate being taken for granted.
I hate pretty people who treat you badly.
I hate people who repost every YouTube video ever made as a Facebook status.
I hate the sound of cracking knuckles.
I hate the when everything that can go wrong does.
I hate infomercials.
I hate commercials for weight loss after New Years.
I hate feeling like I am not good enough.
I hate letting others down.
I hate letting myself down.
I hate being lonely.
I hate being bombarded.
I hate missing people.
I hate overkill.
I hate bad drivers.
I hate when my phone gets lost in the bottom of my purse.
I hate that carb loading is not always acceptable.
I hate when the phone rings during my fave show.
I hate bad speeches.
I hate being blamed for things that are not my fault.
I hate people who are childish and run away from their problems.
I hate Valentine's Day.
I hate when I go to the copy machine and it always seems to be out of paper.
I hate when I make silly mistakes.
I hate excuses.
I hate writer’s block.
I hate liars.
I hate stomachaches.
I hate headaches.
I hate heartaches.
I hate making enemies.
I hate losing friends.

Okay, so it may not be so much a case of hate, but of knowing what pushes my buttons. Perhaps my buttons are easily pushed when it comes to certain things, and obviously some things bother me way more than others. Maybe some of things things come down to me needing to have more patience or be more accepting. I have noticed a lot of people lately writing about what makes them happy in their lives. It is not that I am completely unhappy, but more so that I think it is healthy to know what bothers you so that you can try to counteract it, to know what things require more patience, or even what things or situations to avoid. Life cannot be all sunshine and rainbows, nor can it be one rain cloud after another. Perhaps I will soon share a list of my favorite things, the things I love the most, when I feel like it that is.

Even if you are a positive person most of the time, what do you hate? What pushes your buttons?

No comments:

Post a Comment